Pride Promotes Strife
4 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”
Humility Cures Worldliness
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
Do Not Judge a Brother
11 Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?
Do Not Boast About Tomorrow
13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
Questions & Answers
- Where do wars and fights come from among you? James 4:1
- Why do you not have? James 4:2
- Why do people ask with wrong motives? James 4:3
- What is friendship with the world? James 4:4
- If you make yourself a friend of the world, who do you make yourself an enemy with? James 4:4
- What does the Scripture say about this? James 4:5
- Who does God resist? James 4:6
- Who does God give grace to? James 4:6
- Who are you to submit to? James 4:7
- Why are you to resist the devil? James 4:7
- If you draw near to God, what will He do? James 4:8
- What should you cleanse and purify? James 4:8
- What are people who do not do this? James 4:8
- What should proud people do? James 4:9
- If you humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, what will He do to you? James 4:10
- How are we not to speak? James 4:11
- If a man speaks evil and judges his brother, what is he doing to the law? James 4:11
- If you judge the law, what are you doing? James 4:11
- What is the one lawmaker able to do? James 4:12
- Should you judge another? James 4:12
- Why should you not say you are going to do such and such and make a profit? James 4:13-14
- What should you say instead? James 4:15
- What is boasting in your heart? James 4:16
- What is it for him to knows to do good, and does not do it? James 4:17