The Rich Oppress the Poor
5 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days. 4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. 5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you.
Be Patient and Persevering
7 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. 8 You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.
9 Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door! 10 My brethren, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience. 11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.
12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No,” lest you fall into judgment.
Meeting Specific Needs
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.
Bring Back the Erring One
19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.
Questions & Answers
- What does James tell the rich to do? James 5:1
- What does he say about their riches and garments? James 5:2
- What is a witness against them? James 5:3
- Who have they cheated? James 5:4
- To whom has the cries of the reapers reached? James 5:4
- How have the rich lived on the earth? James 5:5
- Who have the rich condemned and murdered? James 5:6
- How long are we to be patient? James 5:7
- How is the farmer an example for us? James 5:7
- Why must we be patient and establish our hearts? James 5:8
- Why must we not grumble against one another? James 5:9
- Who is standing at the door? James 5:9
- What example did the prophets give us?
- Who do we count as blessed? James 5:11
- How are we not to swear? James 5:12
- What are we to let our yes be? James 5:12
- What are we to let our no be? James 5:12
- What do we not want to fall into? James 5:12
- What should those who are suffering do? James 5:13
- If you are cheerful, what should you do? James 5:13
- What should you do if you are sick? James 5:14
- What are the elders to do? James 5:14
- How will the prayer of faith help? James 5:15
- If you have committed sins, what will happen? James 5:15
- Who should we confess our trespasses to? James 5:16
- Why should we pray for one another? James 5:16
- What does the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avail? James 5:16
- How was Elijah an example to this? James 5:17
- What did he do again, and what happened? James 5:18
- If anyone among you wanders from the truth, what should happen? James 5:19
- If you turn him back, what will happen? James 5:20
- What will this cover? James 5:20